Thursday, September 11, 2008

9.11

Eyes wide open.

While serving on the search and recovery teams at the World Trade Center following the 9/11 terrorist attacks the phrase "keep your eyes wide open" took on new meaning. Of course, the obvious was true - there were many hazards to be mindful of as we navigated the 12 acre or so plot of land where the WTC complex once stood. But beyond the obvious were physical and personal hazards that were yet to be "seen".



Eyes wide shut.

It was early in the week - a day that changed my life and perspective about faith and real life. On the way into the pile that morning, I passed dozens of small businesses deeply impacted by the attack - all on the outside of the "ground zero" fence and security. They were working feverishly to clean up and pull their business together. My heart broke for them - many of them looked broken in every way. As I neared the site, I noticed a band of ministries gathering around the entrance point at Chambers Street and the West Side Highway. Being a Christian myself, I was intrigued by what they were doing. For a moment, I was proud to see faith in action but within moments, realized the action was nothing to be proud of. Since access to the disaster site was limited, very few non-emergency responders/officials were granted access and many of these groups were visibly frustrated that they could not enter. One small group of ministers/leaders were talking about a march to city hall to complain about being left out. As they left the check point, they "marched" past many opportunities to minister to people in need. My heart sunk as many of the recovery workers joked about these ministries (many I am sure had the best intentions) because they missed the real ground zero all around them - opportunities to help people in desperate need.

How a circle of hope begins.

It was a sunny day, about a week into the recovery when our team found a man loosely buried in the debris. We brought him over to an area that was somewhat clear, under a concrete pillar (see photo to right) that once supported the aerial walkway to the American Express building across the West Side Highway. It was rare to find identification with a victim, so to do so with him was quite a surprise. There was a photo of Matthew with his wife and three kids. An ID from Cantor Fitzgerald told us he was probably on the 94th floor - above the impact zone. I was deeply impacted by Matthew - and in the moment decided to lead a prayer for his family before he was removed from the site.

It was eight months to the day from September 11 that I received a phone call from one of Matthew's family members. She asked several factual questions about Matthew and the recovery then, as if we had known each other for years, we talked for a long while. In the years that followed our families grew to know each other - and were drawn quite close. I shared 9/11 anniversaries with them, great dinners and fantastic wine (Matthew enjoyed making wine.) I was inspired by Matthew's wife, who was strong and determined to support her children - to do whatever it took to survive and lead her children to become successful in whatever they do. She was (and is) a great example to me. I had no idea that in a few short years, my wife and I would face our own personal tragedy and that our journey with Matthew's family would play such an important role.

I will share more tomorrow - my mind and heart is heavy tonight. To Matthew's family, the Cangiolosi family and the thousands that lost loved ones seven years ago - my prayers are with you tonight. God bless.

tom

3 comments:

katy said...

I'm so glad to see you back writing. I missed not being able to see, at least once in a while, what was going on with the Bowens.
I was glad to see that there were many memorial services for 9-11 yesterday. I hope we never forget.
Katy (aide to Jophie)

Unknown said...

I for one will never forget 9/11/01. Tom, you are such an inspiration to us all. In the face of your own deep pain, you seem to find the silver lining for the rest of us. I am so happy to hear that a sweet little girl is on her way to your family. She is another blessing from Heaven above. I wish for so many wonderful things to come your way. I can't wait for more updates from the Bowen household.
Love to you all
Barb

3Strands said...

Good stuff, keep up the writing, you are an inspiration to us all and God is using you in a mighty way-----Bo